AKM Bike Lock-Heavy Duty U Lock Combination Cable Lock Review
Experts always recommend using two different locks to secure a bike, as an additional deterrent to thieves.
This combination U lock and cable lock from AKM is a great solution, providing the real security of a U lock, with the visual deterrent of a cable.
If you own a bike, then an accessory you absolutely need is a bike lock. It is the best way to easily secure your bike at home and in public.
There are many different brands and types of bike locks on the market, so how can you figure out which one is best for your needs?
If you are looking for a good bike lock and are considering the AKM Bike Lock-Heavy Duty U Lock Combination Cable Lock, this review can help you in your decision-making process.
AKM Bike Lock-Heavy Duty U Lock Combination Cable Lock
AKM is China's largest lock factory, and is focused on auto parts, tools, and locks for bicycles and motorcycles.
This heavy-duty U lock resists cutting, breaking, sawing, and shearing, for excellent security and durability.
The included cable offers the opportunity to secure more items, and gives more versatility in locking situations than a simple U lock alone
Who is this product for?
The AKM Bike Lock-Heavy Duty U Lock Combination Cable Lock is a great option for people who want the security of a U lock, with the flexibility of a cable lock.
The U lock secures the bike and front wheel, while the cable can be used for rear wheels, helmets, or other accessories.
This combination design is also versatile enough to use with multiple bikes, scooters and motorcycles, outdoor equipment, and other large, bulky items that need extra protection.
The AKM Bike Lock is also a great choice for wet and humid climates, since it has a sliding keyhole cover that prevents rain, dust, and debris from entering the keyhole and potentially blocking or damaging the lock
What is included?
The AKM Bike Lock-Heavy Duty U Lock comes with:
- A PVC covered cable that measures 6 feet with a ½ inch diameter
- A bicycle frame lock mounting bracket
- Two keys
- Two Velcro straps for securing the cable
Overview of features
The AKM Bike Lock has a lot of great features. It's made of steel alloy strong enough to withstand 20 tons of hydraulic shear.
It is 18mm thick, and measures 7.1 by 6 x 10 inches, for a generous size that fits a wide range of locking needs.
At 3.3 pounds in weight it has an ergonomic bent foot design that prevents breaking or bending.
The high-strength PVC coating prevents scratching or rusting, protecting both the lock and your bike.
The disc-style lock has a reinforced collar, and a dust-cover to protect the keyhole from dirt and debris.
The lock is protected by an anti-drilling shell, and each lock has unique keys for added security.
The lock action is smooth and reliable
How to use the AKM Bike Lock-Heavy Duty U Lock Combination Cable Lock
Cables are convenient, lightweight, and can be used to secure a lot of different items in different ways.
However, almost all cables are highly susceptible to being cut quickly, and shouldn't be relied upon as the primary way to protect a bike or other valuable items.
That's why the AKM Bike Lock is a great option, because it combines the security of a U lock with the versatility of cable.
And here is the best way to use both of them to lock a bike.
To place the U lock correctly, remember these rules:
- Always connect your frame (and a wheel) to the object you are locking your bike to. If you lock only a wheel, a thief may simply remove the wheel and leave with your bike. In a pinch, if there is no bike rack around, you can use a U lock to connect the frame to the wheel in such a way that the wheel won't turn, rendering the bike useless for riding. Of course, a thief may simply lift up and carry the whole bike away, but many won't want to try to remove a U lock even when they have the time and tools to do so
- Place your U lock up off the ground, but not on the top tube. Even the shatterproof AKM Bike Lock should be placed up off the ground, to keep thieves from smashing down on the lock against the ground and breaking it. If the lock is placed on the top tube, thieves may try to lift the bike and twist the lock open
- Place your U lock in an inaccessible area. Make it as difficult to get to as possible. Position the U lock with the keyhole facing down to deter tampering with the lock mechanism
- Fill the inside of the lock. If possible; leave as little open space as possible inside the U lock opening. The most common way to defeat a U lock is to use a bottle jack inserted in the space, and then jacking the lock open. If there isn't enough room inside the lock to hold a jack, and if the lock is difficult to access, this method doesn't work
Once you know how to place your U lock, you can use the cable to secure the front wheel, or to secure helmets and other accessories.
You can thread one or both cable loops through the U lock, or thread the cable through itself for more length.
- Strong steel alloy construction resists crushing and shearing
- Lock is protected by an anti-drilling shell
- Keyhole is covered to prevent debris and damage
- Comes with an extra key
- Comes with a mounting bracket
- Cable provides more flexible, versatile security possibilities
- Smooth key action in the lock
- AKM will not provide additional keys, or multiple locks all keyed the same way
AKM makes a combination U lock and cable with all the same strength and features, but with a much smaller lock (see Amazon's price here).
This smaller lock might be a great option for people who want to reduce weight on their bike, people who don't need a lot of security, or people who are using a U lock + cable to secure outdoor items that are not bicycles.
Combining a U lock with a cable is a great way to secure a bike, wheels, and accessories all at once.
It's also a versatile solution to secure all kinds of other items, including scooters, lawn or recreation equipment, and other items that need extra security.
The AKM Combination Lock is strong, reliable, versatile, and a great way to protect your valuables.